I got an unexpected surprise early this afternoon, I saw #iste2015 on my Twitter feed. I learned about ISTE 2014 while taking a summer course in the Digital Teaching and Learning Masters program at Azusa Pacific University. I followed #notatiste then and had a grand old time.
Well, I finished my MAEd back in January, so I wasn’t even aware that ISTE15 started TODAY!
I joined the #NotAtIste Google + group and finally started using Voxer.
At first I didn’t really know what to do with Voxer, but after trying it out a bit, and some help from Jenny Wamsley (@JennyWamsley) and Craig Yen (@CraigYen) I was up and running. I spent about an hour listening at 2x speed to catch up, and I loved every minute of it.
Here are some Voxer tips I learned:
- Turn off notifications by clicking the gear in the upper right hand corner. You need to do this on each chat. At first I liked getting the notifications, but they quickly got to be too much.
- Increase listening speed (1x, 2x, 3x, and even 4x) by clicking the circle with the 1x in it. This only works if you are not listening live.
- Voxer shows your location, unless you turn this off in the main menu Settings tab. Click on the four lines on the upper left >> click Settings (it has a gear icon)>> click account details >> toggle Location on or off.
- Check out who is in a chat by clicking the gear in the upper right hand corner, then clicking the members icon. This will give you the members Voxer tag, not just their name. It is also pretty cool for the #NotAtISTE group chat, although I don’t think I’m seeing everyone, last I heard there were 490 members and it’s only listing about 80 right now.
- Mark All as Heard: If you get behind you can go to the gear in the upper right and them click the Mark All as Heard button. This will make the bubble telling you how many messages you missed disappear 🙂
Things I haven’t figured out yet:
- How to go back to earlier in the day. When I first got it I was seeing messages from about 4pm on, then for some reason I was able to go back to 2pm, but can’t see anything past 9pm now. I tried to scroll up, but just got a spinning wheel.
- How to listen to the last 7 unheard messages on the chat. I think they are in the part I can’t scroll to because I’ve heard/read everything currently displayed. I finally gave up and clicked the “Mark All As Heard” button. The little bubble with a 7 in it went away.